Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Karibu Tanzania

For those who were concerned, rest assured that I am alive, healthy, happy, mosquito bitten but not yet sunburnt, and enjoying my first week in Tanzania. I don’t really have a lot to report just yet. I met the other trainees in Philidelphia and we had a long but mostly uneventful trip to Tanzania. The highlight of the journey came about 5 hours into the second flight when I glanced out the window and was shocked to discover that the ocean had turned tan. I hadn't expected the Sahara Desert to be so clear or so impressive from above. We landed in Kenya for a moment when it was still light out, and the landscape on the way down was incredible. Some of the others claim they saw a group of galloping giraffes (haha alliteration), but I'm not convinced they weren't a hallucination.

Since arriving, I've spent most of the time at the hostel/compound we're basically stuck at this week. My day mostly consists of: wearing long skirts even though my thighs are chafing and I keep tripping, greeting people in horrible Swahili and making them giggle hysterically, being frequently stared at and called “mzungu” (white person), and using a shower that is basically attached to my toilet. Meanwhile, I am still not entirely convinced that I am in Africa. For some reason I felt like "being" in Africa would feel somehow different than "being" feels elsewhere, but obviously it doesn't. I just feel like me, only more aware of my skin color and the importance of nonverbal communication.

On Wednesday we will be moving in to our homestay families, and I expect a cold bucket bath of reality will follow. I’ll be living in a village outside of Muheza with four other trainees, a host Mama (mother) and a host Baba (father) and most likely a few host siblings. Hopefully they’ll find some use for the 10 inflatable beach balls I impulsively packed.

Kiswahili lesson of the day:

Karibu Tanzania: Welcome to Tanzania! Also used to mean "get used to it." As in, "Ouuuch there's a rock in my rice....oh well, Karibu Tanzania!"

8 comments:

  1. Did you get a phone yet? I saw you on FACEBOOK, but are you getting FACEBOoK yet regularly? Love you little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you've made it safely to Tanzania! I love you and I miss you already! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lauren! This is awesome! I'm glad you are safely in Tanzania.

    I'm currently in Israel and will be living here for the year. I am excited to see your updates about Tanzania and hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting everyone know you're alive and well. If you don't find a good use for the beach balls, I don't recommend bringing them back in your suitcase two years from now.

    Love,

    Baba

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard you brought the beach balls instead of pants! That is one of the several reasons that I love you! If you don't like Tanzania and want to escape to Switzerland I'm sure Rochelle would be pumped to see you!! Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll be lucky to get a cold bucket bath of any kind.

    Love,

    Brother

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun! Adventures are always slow to start, don't sweat it. I felt the exact same way when I first spent a month in Europe as an exchange student.

    - Julia from LPC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm. Cold bucket bath.

    Sounds like fuuuun

    ReplyDelete