Monday, March 21, 2011

Faith, Foxholes, and Loliondo

Maybe it’s a crude question, but I ask myself a lot: How can people who have been dealt such a discouraging hand in the game of life constantly praise the one they believe dealt it to them? Nine months living with some of the poorest people in the world and experiencing my own little tastes of desperation, I’m starting to understand things better. When there’s nothing left to hold onto, faith steps in. She takes you in her arms, intoxicates and comforts you with the simplest of words. “There is an answer,” she coos. “There is a reason. You are going to be ok.”

But is there a dose at which faith becomes toxic?

I intended this to be a post about the “Loliondo miracle cure”--a medicine “sent from God” that supposedly treats everything from AIDS to diabetes to TB to chronic pain and has people flocking by the thousands, several of whom have died in the process, to a small village in northern Tanzania. But we’ll get back to that later. Right now my mind is flashing-back to the child’s funeral I wrote about two posts ago.

As I was sitting there on the floor, desperate, terrified, miserable, angry… all of a sudden, the mourner’s kaddish started running through my mind. Yid gadal viyid gadash shmeh rabbah… I have no clue what those words mean, I didn‘t even realize I had the prayer memorized, but the words came to me and they comforted me. I pulled my knees in, wrapped my arms around myself, and whispered that ancient prayer against my skirt. My mind flew back in time, reconnected to memories I didn’t know I had. I sat again under the hot sun at Camp Tamarack and felt the itchy choir robes I once wore as part of the children’s choir at Temple Israel.

I’ve heard the mourner’s kaddish recited thousands of times for faceless dead. Very few times I’ve spoken it aloud for people I knew personally. Those words, the ritual of saying them over the dead, has become a part of me, an essential part of my ability to cope with death. That day, hugging myself on a mat, surrounded by women wailing, chanting, singing in Arabic, I too called out to the universe using a language I don’t understand at all, and I too felt better.

I guess all of this is to say that, even though I’m not a “religious” person, I really do understand the power of belief and ritual. I've felt it in my bones, in the deepest stores of my memory, in the saddest of my days.

Despite that, I simply can’t accept what’s going on in Loliondo. You can get the details from many different sources by googling “Loliondo cure.” Here’s the cliff notes: a former church leader had a dream in which God told him to take the bark from a certain tree, mix it up a certain way, and give it to people for the low low price of 500Tsh (less than 50 cents). The catch is that the cure will only work in that particular place and when given to you from that particular guy, so while the price of the actual medicine is low, the bus fare is not. Meanwhile, this formerly sleepy village is suddenly facing a public health crisis as sick people flood in by the thousands with no where to sleep, no sanitation facilities, and very little water. It’s been compared to the conditions in a hastily thrown together refugee camp. Pretty much all bus stations, from the capital city to my little village, are now offering direct transport to Loliondo. This is the rainy season and most of the roads in this country are a muddy, dangerous mess. There have been accidents, including at least 7 fatalities and hundreds of injuries, as people rush to get their hands on the miracle cure.

I don’t mean to sound entirely negative about this. First of all, I’m not a science-centric anti-herbal medicine kind of person. Plenty of plants have legitimate medical properties. This guy's concoction, or rather, his patients' faith in it, really has done some incredible things.

One of the students at my secondary school, Asteria, has a weird condition where she faints when she hears loud noises. I’ve been at school on a day where she fainted twice and was unconscious for a total of almost an hour after hearing desks being banged in the next classroom over. Asteria hasn’t fainted once since her trip to Loliondo a few weeks ago. Regardless of why, her quality of life has improved dramatically and I wouldn’t dare take that away from her.

But claiming to have cured AIDS is a different story. It’s a dangerous thing to do. Hundreds, maybe thousands by now, of people living with HIV/AIDS are abandoning their ARVs, declaring themselves cured. Some doctors, apparently forgetting that patients who have been on ARVs are at risk for false negative HIV test if their viral load has diminished sufficiently, are confirming the cure. When I try to continue with my lesson plans about HIV prevention, students rebel, demanding to know why I’m bothering to teach them about a disease that has such a simple and cheap cure. People are noticeably less excited about the free condoms I give out at the market. And pretty much everyone in the village thinks I’m an idiot for not accepting the Loliondo miracle.


Even though I consider myself an atheist, I found comfort in my ancestors' ancient prayer during a time when I felt hopeless, desperate, alone. I'm not trying and not willing to make an argument against faith, religion, or herbal healing. But the Loliondo situation isn't really about faith, religion, or herbal healing. To me at least, it's about the dangers of desperation. 

A positive outlook and belief that you will be ok can go a long way in curing or reducing the symptoms of many, many diseases. One of my favorite village elders, Waziri, struggles with diabetes. He hopped on a bus to Loliondo and now drinks soda and sugary tea every day, feeling great. Do I think he’s faking it? No. Do I think he’s really cured? No. I think Waziri, like Asteria, has had a powerful dose of the placebo effect and it’s doing good things for them--as of now. 

But what comes next?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, I'm Cameron's sister. I've been reading your blog for awhile, but have never commented before. As a person of faith myself, I find this post very interesting and am going to think about it more. Thanks for making it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, your blog is thought-provoking, but I can't help wondering if you are really an atheist or an agnostic. If you are willing to accept the small percentage possibility that there is something more than a placebo effect from this "miracle drug," aren't you able to accept the possibility that there is a God? I don't mean an anthropomorphic God sitting on a throne among the clouds, but some force in the universe that we lack the capacity to fully understand. Rejecting "religious" leaders who sell snake oil or seduce young children does not make you an atheist. But, belief in a supreme being has been a force for many great things (as well as many bad things). As intellectually curious as you are, I would think you would leave open the possibility that, irrespective of your rejection of specific religious practices and even entire religions, there still might be a God. I understand your inability to have a firm belief in the existence of God, but isn't Atheism--the firm belief that there is no God--just as irrational as a firm belief that God does (or did) exist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those words, the ritual of saying them over the dead, has become a part of you! That is wonderful, an essential part of your ability to cope with death. - You may not realize but at that moment God provided you Lauren Rachel Fink (like your ancestors) with the words that mean sooo much more! Because the theme of the Kaddish speaks to the Greatness of God, who conducts the entire universe . May I help you in understand the words of this beautiful prayer; With the Kaddish you prayed for peace. I love especially the first stance ; “Glorified and sanctified be God's great name throughout the world…” (you are far from home yet God wants & yet God has you exactly where he wants you to be thinking about your faith) ....it goes on to say....”May there be abundant peace from heaven, and life for us and for all Israel; and say Amen ....” .and as you Lauren provided peace & love and comfort to the mourning, God provided you with all your abilities to be one of HIS loved creatures. Hugs and LOTS of Love Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear sweet and oh so introspective daughter...you are a spiritual being that is a work in progress...it took me many years to develop a faith...like many people my life had to regress to a mostly self induced level of insanity before I decided to really try to believe that something greater than my sick self could return my sanity. Cultivating a faith in god or whatever one chooses to use is a very personal journey. I am quite certain that loliondo has some merit..but I agree with all that you question about it. Your words that perhaps faith might have a spot in your life is a good place to start. Faith or not.. your acts of kindness and giving so much of yourself will be returned to you in ways you never could have imagined. It will happen anyway you lucky girl! Love and miss you sweetie..Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey lauren i have been reading your blog at every new update and your writing combined with your experiences move me so much. Me and lindsey always talk about how awesome you are and how i want to be you when i grow up lol keep up the good work im proud to know you and to say i sat next to u in the temple isreal choir
    lots of love kimberly gaston

    ReplyDelete
  6. The placebo effect is an extremely, extremely powerful thing. Even in Western medicine, part of what drugs are doing is real, and part of it is in your head. You take an Advil and your headache goes away within 10 minutes; it takes much longer for the drug to actually kick in. The more extreme the "cure" the more powerful the effect -- bigger pills, saline injection instead of a pill, spending your entire life's savings to go to this one village where this one guy can do this thing. It's definitely possible that people who have AIDS have better T-cell counts, not just because they were taking ARV's, but because their belief that the herbal cure worked is that powerful.

    That's probably not a good thing in the long run, especially if you believe yourself to be completely cured and stop taking care of yourself. But I think there is something to be said for anything that gives people hope, and alleviates their symptoms in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "god works in miraculous ways.you best believe it".....my teacher told me back in school.didnt believe in god and still doesnt but im pursuing this matter and if its true and scientifically proven that the new herbal medicine works...that would be my proof of the presence of god

    ReplyDelete