Saturday, December 18, 2010

Khanga v. Bucket: The Ultimate Standoff

Living without electricity or running water makes you appreciate things in a different way. Before I hopped on that Africa-bound plane, I had never seen, let alone wore, let alone mopped my floor with, a Khanga. Today I can safely say that I would be dead without it.

The khanga is just a thin piece of fabric. It is most frequently used as a wrap or headscarf. The internet here isn't fancy enough for me to upload a picture right now, but you should google it if you're confused.

My friend Sativa is convinced that the bucket has more uses than the khanga. Buckets are useful, don't get me wrong. You should definitely read her blog post about them (www.sativamarie.wordpress.com) and make up your own mind. But I feel, in the name of fairness, you deserve to hear the khanga's side of the story. Sativa says I'm copying her by writing this post. She is a bully. That is why I call her "Dada Mkubwa," which means "big sister," because big sisters are bullies. I think. I've never actually had one.

Anyway. The many uses of a khanga:

- The Classic (wrapping around your waist)
- Tablecloth
- Carpet
- Drapes
- Poster/general wall art
- Get your local tailor to make you a: dress, shirt, pants, skirt, hat, dira, headscarf, etc etc etc)
- Cape to wear to the Harry Potter movie in Dar Es Salaam ("I'm so not going with you to that," - Jen)
- Any/all articles of clothing for kids
- Grocery bag
- To cover up your luggage if you don't want people to see how fancy your bags are
- Menstrual pads (if anyone wants information on how to do this, attend your local Peace Corps girls conference)
- Oven mitts (but be careful, I've already burned holes in 3 khangas doing this...)
- Head wrap (all styles--the bigger the better)
- Apron (kinda synonymous with "the classic")
- Filter for water (but not a substitution for boiling!)
- Diaper (if you believe in that kind of thing, most Mamas just let the kiddos run free)
- Blanket and/or sheets
- Bathing suit cover
- "Farm clothes"
- Prayer rug (I'm actually not sure this would be allowed--I'll ask a Mama and let you know)
- Yoga mat
- Covering up your tanktop when you can't stand the heat
- Really cheap sunscreen
- Hijab
- Sending subliminal messages (each khanga has a saying on the bottom in Swahili, usually it's things like "God's word is the final word" but sometimes it's more sassy and less religious.)
- Face mask when the dust and/or body odor takes over your nasal passages
- Make-shift curtain when you have to chimba dawa* on a bus ride
- "Mattress mambo" (if you have to ask, you're too young to know)
- Travel pillow
- Door mat
- Umbrella
- Required uniform for any village funeral or wedding
- Fanny pack (Sativa's favorite)
- To strap a child to your back (he ain't going nowhere)
- To shield yourself when breastfeed--though open-air is the preference in my village
- Jifunga-ing** when you're wearing scandalous things like jeans or a knee-length skirt
- When it gets old, it becomes a rag/mop/etc
- Automatic hand-dryer (minus the automatic)
- Bathing suit (or so I hear, this sounds kind of impractical)
- If you're in a really hard spot, toilet paper
- Gauze and pretty much any other medical supply 

I'll keep adding if I think of more things... let me know if you come up with any I haven't thought of!

* "Chimba dawa" is literally "dig for medicine," but it's a euphemism for pissing on the side of the road
** "Jifunga" literally means "close yourself"

- Campaign

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful list. Would you mind if I used this (mentioning you of course) in my website called the kanga project which is an organisation helping the Rural Women Development Association, a grassroots Ass working near Singida.
    Hope you are enjoying your stay. Seems obvious actually. It is a lovely country
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You now have a big sister and she's no bully :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,

    Feel free. My village is actually located near Singida. I can't post the exact location here, but I'll be coming through there in a few days and would love to see what the Rural Women Development Association is up to. Is there an email or phone number I can reach them at?

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete